Ganjabird Cupcakes - MMJ Recipe
by Miranda Hunt
Herb infused hummingbird cupcakes based on the Southern dessert of the same name. These plump gems use whole meal barley flour in lieu of wheat, as well as bananas, pineapple, pecans and coconut to keep the traditional flavor alive.
- 1.5 cups barley flour, plus more for pan
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup master recipe ganja butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 2 large organic eggs
- 1 cups mashed ripe banana (about 2)
- 1/2 cup canned crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 F with rack in center. Line cupcake pan with paper liners; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, vanilla, and sugar until combined, about 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, incorporating each before adding the next. Beat at medium speed until mixture is pale yellow and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, stir together banana, pineapple, walnuts, and coconut. Add to egg mixture, mixing until combined. Stir in flour mixture.
- Divide batter evenly among liners, filling about 2/3 full. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, until golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 28 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cupcakes have cooled, use a small offset spatula to frost tops of each cupcake. Serve at room temperature. Store in refrigerator to keep fresh.